Friday, December 12, 2008

Oh, There's No Place Like Home For The Holidays

So the other night, Betty, Cole and I are out having dinner. Afterward, we decided to walk down the various shops and stores near the restaurant and do a little holiday window shopping. You'll never guess what I saw: an 8-foot tall animated nutcracker. The look on my face as I saw it moving and lighting up must have been obvious, because Betty knew I had to have it! I looked at her, she looked at me, and she said, "Where would we put it?" I immediately replied, "In our dining room, of course." "Of course," she replied, and so we purchased it on the spot and took it home. Now getting it home was another story. It wouldn't fit in my Jeep, so a quick trip home to get the pickup and back we went.

At this point, Max was waiting for us and wanted to know why we were going back to where we just came from. When Cole and I explained why, he had to join us. So off the three of us went back to the store. After about a 1/2 hour of examining our purchase and a phone call to the owner of the store, we figured out how to disassemble it and get it into the truck, because it was still too big! Arriving home, Betty now doubts that we'll actually fit it in the dining room due to its height. Fear not, I tell her. But Cole and I have doubts ourselves at this point, not letting on, however.

So in we carry the legs, then the body, then the arms, and keeping our fingers crossed, we put on the head. With 1/2 inch to clear, we bolted him together, plugged in the wires, and started him up. What a magnificent display! Now, we just have to figure out where to store him once Christmas is over...


The 8-foot tall Nutcracker in all of his glory

Last weekend was Max's first Christmas Formal. He looked pretty sharp in his tux, and from what we heard, had a great time. A group of 50 of his friends rented a party bus which picked them up and took them to the Formal and restaurant, and then home again. First time I've ever seen a party bus -- it's really a good way to travel in style with a large screen TV, deluxe stereo system, and all the other bells and whistles that go along with it.


Max ready for his first Christmas Formal

There are only 13 days left, believe it or not, until Christmas. We've been busier than ever this holiday season, and we cannot thank you enough! There is still time to do your last-minute holiday shopping, and we'll do everything in our power to make sure it arrives in time for you and your shows. Speaking of last-minute Christmas gifts, many of you took us up on our offer on the new Sorcerer's Apprentice Magic Kit by Mark and Nani Wilson. We even had a grandmother who purchased 10 of them for her grandchildren! Don't forget to check it out HERE!

My son, Cole, comes home today from college to spend the holidays with us. He'll be here next week helping us at Hocus Pocus on the phones and in the warehouse. I'm really looking forward to the holidays this year more than ever, and I am hoping you are feeling the holiday spirit like I am.

Until next time,

Paul

No comments: