Friday, April 29, 2005

So Much Magic, So Little Time

I know I say this a lot, but I mean it every time, and here it is again: What a week! Work, work, work, work, WORK! We've all logged in some miles and earned our keep this week, that's for sure, and it's all thanks to you. You've kept us busy throughout the dreaded month of April! I say "dreaded" because April is notorious for tax time, and chances are, everyone digs deeper into their pocket for Uncle Sam.

Betty and I enjoyed our trip to San Francisco last week. The weather was beautiful and perfect. Not too many people, and Lewis Black's show was so great, my jaws still ache from laughing so hard. If Lewis ever comes to your area, drop what you are doing and go see his show.

New products keep coming in faster than I can even keep up with this week! There are tons of new DVDs, including the new Greg Wilson, Aldo Colombini, Ross Bertram, and more. Check out the website for details! Another item we're excited about that will be coming in the next couple of weeks is the new Gilligan's Prediction. Stop what you're doing right now and head on over to the website and see this thing in action! I predict a total sell-out of our first shipment, so pre-order yours today! Another thing to talk about is Jay Leslie's terrific new kid show item, "To the Moon!" Created exclusively for Hocus Pocus, every kid show worker will want one of these as it is perhaps one of the best sucker effects to come along in quite some time! This is a quality piece of apparatus that is well-built and you'll be able to perform it in mere minutes! Jay has only produced 12 units, which we've acquired so get your today!

I just purchased a small private collection of antique magic that I'll be sending to Hocus Pocus Online Members soon. Currently, we are looking to also purchase older magic. If you have any older magic props you are not using, give me a call toll-free at 800-407-4040. I'm willing to pay cash or give you store credit -- your choice! We're also looking for the following items:

Collector's Workshop Khyber Kobra
Collector's Workshop Jumbo Card on Seat
Collector's Workshop Gilded Cage
Origami Illusion
Charvet No Assistant Black Nest of Boxes

We have a new employee starting here on Monday. Her name is Nancy Weismann, and it is her voice you'll be hearing on the phones. Nancy comes to us from the Vendo company. Nancy's a very nice and professional person, so when you talk to her, make sure you give her a warm Hocus Pocus hello. I think we've also found our replacement for Jason London. Although we're not at liberty to reveal who it is yet, you can rest-assured that he is a full-time working professional who has made his career out of magic! Mike and I are very excited to have this individual climb aboard, and I predict a long and happy future with him! We're in the process of working out the final details with him, and once done we will be making the announcement, so stay tuned!

After doing this for 30 + years, you sometimes wonder how well you are doing. We're kept in check by customer comments and suggestions, and we read and listen to them all. This morning I opened up my email and found this letter from a long time customer, and it really put a spring in my step:

Hey - this is a letter that is to say "thanks" for all the things you've done to help me along. You are an amazing entity in this realm of magic business, and, well, I truly hope you know what you are worth. As far as I am concerned, there is no magic shop except for your little realm sitting there in Fresno.

I pass the word on the various group boards I am on about Hocus Pocus every time a person comes along and asks for a dealer that is good. Anyone starts talking about buying new routines, I tell them about you. I do it on boards, I do it verbally for folk I talk with and to. Still, I wish there was more I could do to help you. Word of mouth is one thing, buying the routines is another, but...it really doesn't support you the way you deserve to be upheld in this crazy business.

I wonder how many performers in our business really appreciate or understand the depth of what you do for us/them? I cannot think of any other dealer who is so directly dedicated to providing the best in material, the best in trade situations, the best in customer satisfaction than you. And, I've dealt with two or three major sources on repeated business. Over the last few months we have briefly touched base on them. And, each and every one of those dealers is not half the merchant you are. There is no doubt about this, Paul, you are simply, THE BEST.

I appreciate the time you take out of your schedule to spend the moments on the phone or emails in talking with me. I know you are consistently busy and have amazing levels of other wheeling and dealing you have to attend to in order to ensure that your shop has the most up to date materials, the most reliable effects, the most consistent inventory in order to meet the demands of a mail order clientele that you have...be it from an inside order fill to a drop ship from a manufacturer countless miles away. Having done a share of shipping and receiving many years ago (when I was working temp jobs at a younger point in my life), well, I know the type of dedication and hours it takes to stay on top of that type of duties.

Another point of impressiveness is the trust you have in your staff there with you. I do not see that very often in any form of small business organization. There is a well given distribution of authority at your place...which should, theoretically, help you handle the higher end of the management easier. How you do this, with a wife, with kids, with a family...amazes me. What you are running is something that seems to demand your attention 24 hours a day of your being. You must live doubly hard to achieve these things. Wow. That is pretty outstanding about you.

Anyways, this is a brief email to touch base and pass on my thoughts and thanks to you. I am proud to be a part of your clientele and represent you to the fellow performers I meet in this world...even if it is on a "word of mouth" basis.

There's a lot I could say...I'll keep that for another letter someplace further along the way.

The best to you -

Kym


Wow. It's letters like this that make it all worthwhile. Thanks to all of you and to you, Kym, who have helped make Hocus Pocus what it is today.

Until next time,

Paul

No comments: